- 1 lb. Hot or mild Itallian Sausage, sliced
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 c pot or pearl barley
- 1 can (28 oz – ) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz) low sodium condensed chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 8 oz. peeled and deveined shrimp, cooked
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
In a large non-stick skillet over medium- high heat, cook sausage & chicken until no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain fat from the pan, reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic, oregano, and chili powder: cook for 1 minute. Stir in barley, tomatoes, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for 40 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve.
Makes 8 servings.